Accomplished in driving turnover, growth, profitability and operational excellence.
Chemical, Plastics & Paint/Coatings Industries / MBA / PhD, Organic Chemistry
Vision, Strategy & Execution / P&L and Operations Management / Mergers & Divestments
Restructuring / Technical Direction / Sales, Marketing & Channel Management / Internal Controls
Research & Development / Product Development / New Product Introduction / Team Leadership
Distinguished career is highlighted by an impressive record of management performance and achievements in building corporate value. Proven leadership talent, high analytical skills, and able to recognize patterns and comprehend/adjust to new situations; excel at identifying areas of improvement and willing to tackle the necessary issues to drive positive change. Extensive experience in driving reorganizations and motivating teams under difficult conditions – accustomed to and effective in working in highly unstable environments, making quick decisions and overcoming complex business challenges. Solid technical understanding and science background.
Reagens Deutschland from a spin-off into an independent, profitable company –
grew turnover from €36.6 million to €45.5 million and profit grew by more than 300% in three years.
and increased the leading technological position of Plastics Technology/Reagens
Deutschland in the field of Calcium/Zinc and Calcium/Organic PVC stabilizer one
packs, thereby providing the basis for future growth.
- Led the development/launch of new products that generated €3 million in sales in one year.
2014 ongoing: BYK Chemie GMBH; Wesel, Germany
Chief Technology Officer
Chief Technology Officer
Accountable for the global R&D strategy, new business development, process technology development, patent strategy, and all health and safety issues of ELANTAS, a group of companies with €350 million turnover, about 1000 employees, and 10 sites worldwide that specializes in wire enamels, impregnating materials, coil and circuit board coatings, and casting materials for the electric and electronic industries.
- R&D Project Portfolio Management – Developed a global R&D project portfolio in combination with business lines and the local R&D heads to prepare ELANTAS for future market demands. Introduced global harmonized database to jointly manage the projects of all sites.
- Production Excellence – Introduced a regular meeting of all production and/or site managers, established best practice and introduced many improvements.
- Company Set-up – Evaluated various options to establish a new R&D and production company in South East Asia, selected site, bought land, designed site layout, established legal entity, served as managing director and set-up support network to build new site.
to 2007: Reagens Deutschland GmbH; Lohne /
Appointed to provide overall company management of two sites in Lohne and Loxstedt for this $60 million, 120-employee Cognis Deutschland spin-off (under new ownership) that specializes in selling plastic additives; majority of the business consists of one-packs based on CaZn or lead for the PVC processing industry, and the company has customers in Europe, Russia, North America, and Asia.
& Profit Growth – Increased
turnover from €18.3 million in 2004 (July - December) to €45.5 million in 2006 and
annual profit by 300%.
& Team Leadership –
Combined the two sites (previously managed as separate entities) into one
cohesive company. Effectively merged, leveraged and consolidated combined
synergies and resources, established a knowledge exchange team,
cross-functional teams (exchange, purchasing, engineering, sales, IT) and a
senior management team, and fostered a strong team and company spirit.
- Monthly Controls & Annual Budgeting – Introduced monthly controlling (P&L, balance sheet, cash flow, and sales controlling), introduced systems of annual budgeting (sales and material forecast, production capacity planning, cost planning) and worked with the company accountant in combining individual components into an overall P&L forecast.
2001 to 2004: Cognis Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG/Neynaber Chemie GmbH; Loxstedt, Germany
In charge of global R&D strategy, product development and patent portfolio for the profit center “Plastic Technology” (turnover of €160 million; 25 employees) of Cognis Deutschland, a $4 billion global supplier of innovative specialty chemical products and food ingredients with production sites and service centers in 30 countries. Accountable for coordinating activities of affiliated technicians worldwide, partnering with regional business directors to determine future development needs, presenting new R&D results, and the management of a €7 million global R&D budget.
Reduction – Reduced cost
of the patent portfolio 50+% by concentrating on patents with future value in countries
with significant market size.
– Combined the technical
and product development activities of the two centers in Lohne and Loxstedt, moved
remaining equipment to Loxstedt, and transferred remaining technicians into
technical sales service positions with a home office.
- New Product Development & Launch – Developed/introduced new products that
generated €3 million in sales in one year in collaboration with key
decision-makers of the largest European profile extruder.
- Corporate Structure – Contributed to the sales value and salability of the company’s subsequent carve-out into Reagens Deutschland by working with corporate development on establishing the structure of the new company. Recommended including one estrification unit into the sales package versus the original plan; proposal was supported by the corporate head of manufacturing and accepted by the CEO of Cognis
1998 to 2001: Henkel KGaA (Cognis); Düsseldorf, Germany
Senior Technical Manager (2001) / Manager, Polymer Chemistry Lab (1998 to 2001)
Achieved a promotion at one of the most internationally aligned German-based companies in the global marketplace; Henkel has 52,000 employees worldwide and sales of $15 billion, and operated at that time in five strategic business areas – Home Adhesives, Personal Care, Home Care, Surface Treatment, and Chemical Products (Cognis). Appointed as Group Leader responsible for all Cognis polymer labs (each with annual budget of $500,000-$600,000) in central R&D with a total of 12 employees; previously, managed a polymer chemistry lab with two lab technicians.
& Development – Drove
the development of several new self-dispersible epoxy hardeners with the
ability to also disperse liquid epoxy resin; also developed self-dispersible
epoxy resin outside of the existing patent coverage, which was commercialized
and now accounts for sales of several million each year.
Trials – Transferred
products from the U.S.
to Europe, adjusted them to the different raw
material base, and led the initial production trial in Düsseldorf.
Presentations & Conferences – Attended conferences in Europe and in
and prepared/led presentations.
Leadership – Named as
Project Leader for a $2 million federally funded co-financed project and held overall
responsibility for internal and external project coordination.
Development – Conducted a
market survey to identify customers for fiber reinforced products. Established
contacts via cold calls, visited prospects, and tested experimental products. Identified
subcontractors to the automotive industry needing these materials for interior
parts, and optimized products for this use; parts were included in product
offerings to several German car manufacturers.
- Patents – Was granted numerous patents in several fields (publication list attached).
Early Career: Postdoctoral Fellow -- University of Georgia,
/ Ohio State University
– Columbus, OH.
- Synthesized high energy intermediates and analyzed them with various physical methods.
- Master of Business
Administration – The Open University; Milton Keynes, UK
(1999 to 2002)
(Organic Chemistry) – University of Georgia; Athens,
GA (1992 to 1995)
- German Doctorate (Dr. rer. Nat., Computational
Chemistry; with distinction)
University of Erlangen-Nürnberg; Erlangen, Germany (1992 to 1995)
Scholarship of the German Chemical Industry
- Chemie Diplom (with distinction) – University of Erlangen-Nürnberg; Erlangen, Germany
(1987 to 1992)
Bavarian Scholarship “Hochbegabtenförderung”
(Chemistry) – University of Wisconsin; Madison, WI (1990 to 1991)
- Languages: German (native); English (fluent)